"The future is a forbidden subject in the meeting of lovers."
1. Trailer & Synopsis
2. Director's Statement & Stills
3. Crew & Specifications
4. Director's Bio
5. Oranges Soundtrack
6. Avant Premiere
(Venue: Utopia 126, Bcn/SPA)
7. Festivals, Contact & Press Kit
1. TRAILER & SYNOPSIS
Night. Around 10pm. A young woman dives into her memories of an ex-lover, recalling dream-like images and sounds. While writing about the end of the affair she intensively revivifies it, reliving it all over again, all the way back until the day they met. Unexpectedly, she then reaches an answer she had not been looking for.
2. DIRECTOR'S STATEMENT
This project started at a cafe in Barcelona when a friend asked me what I was going to do in France. I told him I was going to shoot a love story that I still did not know. The next day I was on a bus to Normandy, thinking of all my past relationships, when I started brainstorming 'Oranges'. I was beginning to enter the state of love. The state of falling in love and being present; connected to the current moment. Instantly I became a witness to every form of life that was manifesting around me. The whisper that would reveal the concern of a stranger. The trees that would constantly disappear in the window of a moving car. I was taken by a restless search for a future that was not over yet. I was obsessed with collecting genuine images that would rhyme regardless of their different contexts. The situations were all connected by a common denominator: an adventurous spirit that would turn two strangers into lovers. Their thirst for freedom was beyond any clock movement; any sound of a plane taking off; each and every idea that could warn them they were ephemeral. None of them cared if it all could lead to the downfall of Troy. They were busy falling in love! And just by recalling the beauty, the end could be bearable.
For me, the images of a breakup are not worth showing for too long. A voice was enough to speak out the sorrow, but only under the condition of getting overwhelmed by the most beautiful images of two lovers in love with life! I aimed to tell a story that viewers would feel sorry for an outcome that did not imply to their lives. 'Oranges' is an overdose of information inspired by a true romance. It is not about understanding all, but feeling.
This project was written, produced and shot in forty-eight hours. I met each member of the crew just the day before the shooting and invited them to be part of a film that I had yet not written. Luckily, they said yes and wrote it with me.
3. CREW & SPECIFICATIONS
Eglantine Sans & Lola Andreoni
Written & Directed
by Lud Mônaco
Executive Producer Off-Courts
In Collaboration with Albiñana Films
Camera & Cinematography Jean-François Gauthier
Production Assistant Djahid Zebiche
Script translation Lucía Salvador
Editing Pedro Brum
Color Grading Jordi Murillo - Enefecto
Sound Design & Sound Re-recording mixer
'Departing Hearts' by Mark Aanderud
Singer Davy Lions
Guitar Jurandir Santana
Violin João Silva
Voice-over Recorder Romain Allender
Voice-over Interpreter Lola Andreoni
Isabelle Le Guern
Ricardo Albiñana JR
Everybody who danced
Running time: 7'
Filming Format: 2K
DCP/ ProRes 422 (HQ)/ H264
Aspect Ratio: 2:35
Written, shot & cut in 48hours
(FRANCE/ SPAIN 2019)
4. DIRECTOR'S BIO
Born in São Paulo in 1987, Lud Mônaco is a Brazilian screenwriter & director, whose work explores the female universe. She studied film at the Barcelona Film School (ECIB) and her graduation project 'Para, pero sigue' was awarded best short film at the Lisbon & Estoril Film Festival. Names such as Peter Handke were amongst the awarding panel. The film was also acquired by the well-known platform ShortsTV.
Many of her short films have been featured in major festivals, such as the International Short Film Festival Oberhausen, Mix Brasil and Sitges Film Festival. Her work has also been showcased in the prestigious Museum of Image and Sound of São Paulo. 'Enjoy the Drama', one of her short films, has been released in a collection by the Peccadillo Pictures. Lud Mônaco has been selected for the Berlinale Talents 2017 and and is currently developing her debut feature film, a tragicomedy set in Portugal.
Based in both Barcelona and London, Lud has recently moved in to commercials, with her first project shooting for Uber. She is represented by Albiñana Films in Spain and Stable TV in the UK.
5. ORANGES SOUNDTRACK
6. AVANT PREMIERE
7. FESTIVALS, CONTACT & PRESS KIT
+44 (0) 7497696447
Completion date: March 2019
* Avant Premiere: Utopia 126 (Barcelona - March 2019) *
- GiF (Girls in Film) Anniversary event (London, UK - March 2019)
- Platforms Project (Independent art fair - Atenas, Greece - May 2019) - The film is part of a selection of artwork in a variety of media presented by Darling Pearls & Co
- XVI OutfestPerú (Lima, Peru - June 2019) - Official Selection
- 31st Vancouver Queer Film Festival (Vancouver, Canada - August 2019) - Official Selection
- 25ème Festival du film LGBT de Paris "Chéries Chéris" (Paris, France - November 2019) - Official Selection
- 12th Cine Movilh - Festival Internacional de Cine LGBTIQ+ (Santiago, Chile - October 2019) - Official Selection
- Ce L'ho Corto Film Festival (Bologna, Italy - November 2019) - Official Selection
- 11th International Queer Film Festival MERLINKA (Belgrade, Serbia - December 2019) - Official Selection
- 8th La otra Banqueta - Festival de cine por la diversidad sexual (Guatemala City, Guatemala - November 2019) - Official Selection
- LOOP Festival 2019 (Barcelona, Spain - November 2019) - City Screen 'Pol & Grace Hotel'
- FIRE!! 24a MOSTRA INTERNACIONAL de CINEMA GAI i LESBIÀ (Barcelona, Spain - June 2020) - Official Selection
- 14th Serile Filmului Gay International Film Festival (Cluj-Napoca, Romania - May 2020) - Official Selection
- 14th Vox Feminae Festival (Croatia - May 2020) - Official Selection
- 21st Korea Queer Film Festival (Seoul - June 2021) - Official Selection